Whether you are traveling for work or pleasure, staying healthy while on the road can be really difficult. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to ensure you maintain your health goals.
Photo by: Andrea Vincenzo Abbondanza
Staying Healthy on the Road
Pack Snacks and Staples
- Dry snacks such as jerky, nuts, fruit, and chocolate can easily be packed in your bag. I personally love the individual packets of coconut oil, which I use both for eating and as body lotion.
- In addition to your luggage, bring a small fabric cooler filled with simple pre-cooked or raw items such as:
- Hard boiled eggs
- Baby carrots and celery sticks
- Roasted sweet potatoes or root vegetables
- Berries/other fruit
- Using small glass or plastic containers, you can bring staples like olive oil, salt and pepper, and salad dressing. This detailed breakdown of suggested travel items is also a great resource.
Research in Advance
- If you are traveling to a major city, chances are there will be a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or other health food store nearby. Map the locations nearest you, and plan a visit the day you arrive. Request a refrigerator in your room before you check in, and you can easily stock up on a week’s worth of healthy eats to get you by.
- Every airport, train station, and hotel has a list of dining options available online. Read their menus in advance, and even consider contacting them to confirm what specific menu items will accommodate your needs.
- Look up local food vendors where you will be visiting, so you know what options are available before you hit the road.
Fit in Workouts
- Sure, your time is limited, but that doesn’t mean you can’t fit in an early morning walk/run, visit the hotel gym on a lunch break, or go hiking with the family one afternoon.
- Make fitness a priority, just as you do at home, and you feel all the better for it.
- My favorite on-the-road-workout-tool is the Nike Training App. They have plenty of short workouts, many that require no equipment, and options that include equipment found in any hotel gym.
Do Your Best, Within Reason
- Adjust your expectations, understanding things will not be perfect. Don’t beat yourself up if everything doesn’t go according to plan. This undo anxiety will only make you feel worse.
- Instead, do the best that you can, and accept that it is okay to let go sometimes.
- You may find a few days of mindless eating and living will do you some good. Happiness is a state of mind, after all.
Join the Our Food Fix Family
Subscribe to our list to receive FREE recipes, healthing living resources, and planning and efficiency tips.