The holidays are filled opportunities to enjoy great foods, and indulge in items that only come once a year. Amongst all the choices, how do you ever decide between them?
That’s the beauty, you don’t necessarily have to. And everyone feels the same way, which is why homemade treats are such a welcome gift. Add one or more of these treats to a festive holiday tin, or wrap in a never-fail Kraft paper box and tie with bakers twine (my personal favorite), and you will make for a very happy holiday.
Here we have gathered our favorite holiday treats and homemade gift ideas. Mostly Paleo or Gluten free, these are all flavor packed and sure to please. Don’t worry traditionalists, there’s something everyone.
Photo by: Annie Spratt
Holiday Treats & Homemade Gift Ideas
- Ginger snaps are a classic holiday treat, they are reminiscent of gingerbread and a perfect balance of sweet and spicy. These Triple Ginger Cookies have been a family favorite for years, and these Paleo Ginger Snap Cookies are a great grain & dairy free option (Bonus: this link includes 5 other holiday-perfect Paleo cookie ideas).
- For a healthy take on the ever-famous sugar cookie, check out these Grain Free Sugar Cookies with a great frosting recipe to boot, or this Cinnamon Spiced Almond Sugar variety is a fun twist.
- For you chocoholics, there is no greater pairing during the holidays than chocolate and mint. Indulge in these Paleo Thin Mints, Paleo Peppermint Patties, or these Paleo Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
- In our house, pumpkin is celebrated throughout the winter. Our Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are a two-for-one cake-like cookie that are fun for kids and adults alike.
- For something everyone will talk about, these Infamous Bacon Cookies or Potato Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies are a truly fun, and savory option, for your holiday spread.
Bars & Brownies
- To us, there is no better dessert combination that sweet and salty. We love to give out generous portions of our Malted Salted Brown Butter Shortbread Bars as gifts around the holidays.
- For a killer combination of flavors and textures, these Seven Layer Bars are also a special treat.
- Fudge is incredibly easy to make, and can be healthy-er, especially in the form of Paleo Nutella Fudge Bars.
- For a taste of summer in the winter, give these Paleo Cherry Jubilee Blondies. With a gooey jam center and buttery flavor they as tasty as they are festive.
- Much of our family adores peppermint patties (who doesn’t) and these Peppermint Pattie Brownies are way better than anything you can get in a store.
Something A Little Different
- As a welcome break from all the cookies and sugar, wrap up bags of our Homemade Cracker Jacks for a crunchy spicy homemade treat.
- For a healthy take reminiscent of candy store classics, try Paleo Salted Caramel Cups or Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Cups.
- Chocolate Peppermint Bark made healthy is something everyone can enjoy.
- Eggnog is a holiday must. First, make your own if you can. And second, use it to add some festive spirit to your baking. In this eggnog how-to, you can find inspiration for both.
If you want to mix things up, and avoid gifting only desserts, there are plenty of from your kitchen options. For instance, I love putting together themed gift baskets. It gets my creative juices flowing to come up with new ideas, and the recipient appreciates a unique from the heart gift.
- In the heart of winter, a warming pairing of hot chocolate and marshmallows is super comforting. You can easily make Paleo Marshmallows at home, even flavor them any way you like, and pair with your favorite hot chocolate mix, or make your own. Add a holiday mug, and some peppermint sticks, and your holiday gift box is complete.
- Put together a Christmas morning gift basket, featuring homemade jam. Don’t be fearful, it is easier than you think. A fun family project, one that kids love too, and it makes a large batch you can gift to numerous lucky people. Pair with a loaf of homemade or store-bought bread, biscuits, or crackers, and a container of your favorite hot tea. This comprehensive guide to Sugar-Free Jam is a perfect place to start.
- For the person who loves to cook or bake, gift one of your favorite cookbooks, alongside a sampling of one of the recipes. Sauces, jams, cookies, or other baked goods are all great options for this gift. Include a festive towel set or an oven mitt for an added bonus.
We would love to hear about your favorite holiday treats and homemade gift ideas. Let us know in the comments below!
Join the Our Food Fix Family
Subscribe to our list to receive FREE recipes, healthing living resources, and planning and efficiency tips.