Welcome to the first edition of the Wellness Roundup. Here we will focus on the latest happenings in the health and wellness community. Have requests, or want to see a specific topic covered? Leave a comment below or message us and we will include your suggestions in upcoming posts.
Photo by: Sujan Sundareswaran
Prepare for Summer
With summer around the corner and temperatures heating up, everyone has warm-weather everything on their minds. Let’s get prepared! Here are some tips and ideas to give you a head’s start.
Buy Local Seasonal Foods
- For our fellow Midwestern’s, this time of year means Farmers markets finally open, and we once again have access to quality fresh foods. We are big proponents of buying local, and encourage others to do the same. Find a Farmers Market in your area and enjoy the bounty they have to offer.
- Can’t get to a market? Use a local delivery service instead. We love Door to Door Organics.
- When you are shopping in the store, know what’s in season and focus on these ingredients in your cooking. Not only will you save some money, eat a variety of foods, and get the best flavor, but you will inherit the nutritional benefits.
Boost Your Immunity
- Even though the temperatures may indicate otherwise, it is technically still spring. And spring means seasonal allergies for millions of Americans. Instead of popping pills, try to incorporate foods that fight both allergy symptoms as well as inflammation, which is one of the leading causes of allergies.
- Sweat abounds this time of year, as does exposed skin, so take extra precautions to keep skin clean and clear.
Know thy Sunscreen
- It is an unavoidable issue, we need sunscreen when we are spending extended time outdoors, yet most of the vastly available drugstore varieties are loaded with stuff.
- Instead of resorting to ingredients we cannot pronounce let alone understand, read labels, and follow the EWG’s guidelines for safe sunscreen.
Try a Skin Cleanse
- Get your skin summer ready with a product detox. Before you slather on layers of sunscreen, top it off with some makeup, and sweat all day, give your skin a break from everything. Yes, everything.
- I personally give my skin a break at least once a week, and have done a full-on 3 day cleanse. I survived, and loved it! Read more about the benefits and follow along with a complete guide in the book Skin Cleanse, by SW Basics founder, Adina Grigore.
- P.S. her products rock, and are squeaky clean. I use the cleanser and toner and adore them both.
Keep in mind we are not medical professionals, and this information is meant to be educational only. Learn more by reading our disclaimer.
Join the Our Food Fix Family
Subscribe to our list to receive FREE recipes, healthing living resources, and planning and efficiency tips.