As we embark on yet another Thanksgiving, I want to take a moment to step back and focus on this day’s true intentions. Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks and being grateful.
It feels we have gotten away from focusing on the true meaning of the holiday. Instead of sharing love and joy, we spew hate, judgment, and negativity. Instead of enjoying each other’s company, we watch terrible TV or play on our phones. I would love to see us get back to our roots, back to the simple things.
I have seen and heard of others sharing gratitude around the holidays. Some even do it all year-long. This is the first time I have taken to openly expressing my gratitude, and I have to admit is was a cathartic experience.
Over the last 5 days, I shared a daily message on our Instagram account. I learned it is important to share these ideas out loud, both to hold yourself accountable and to encourage others.
Photo by: Nathan Anderson
Thanksgiving 2016: Giving Thanks & Being Grateful
This Year I Give Thanks To:
- My family, who loves me unconditionally no matter what. Who taught me to put each other first, despite other priorities.
- My husband for always making me laugh, encouraging me, keeping me in a positive frame of mind, and for being my best friend.
- My friends, who remind me how far we have come. For picking up exactly where we left off, even when we haven’t seen in each other in months.
This Year I Am Grateful For:
- The sunrise, which signals the start of a new day. One where we can start fresh, and improve on the day before.
- The abundance of quality food available, and that I am able to nurture my body with this food.
- Last and certainly not least, for God, who provides for us in every way. Who created an incredible landscape, and gives us health, love, and life.
What are you grateful/thankful for? We wold love to hear from you in the comments below.
Join the Our Food Fix Family
Subscribe to our list to receive FREE recipes, healthing living resources, and planning and efficiency tips.